The Charie name almost certainly originated in France and to this day, although rare, there are more instances there than anywhere else. The probability is that the original bearers of the name in other European countries and North America came from France as Huguenot refugees.
A link between the known history of our family and that of the Huguenots is non-proven, but there is a strong possibility that such a link exists, and that one day the evidence will emerge.
No link established
* 1550-1750. Baptisms, marriages and wills recorded in several parishes in Kent. Was this our family on a slow journeying from a landfall on the Kent coast, migrants from France, en route eventually to London?
* 1550-1750. Single references to the name in Sussex, Essex, Devon and W Lothian.
* 1766. The London marriage of Claudius Adrian CHARIE A3 to Ann MARTIN A4 in Shoreditch.
* 1791. First reference noted to a CHARIE jeweller/silver bucklernaker in London, Dennis B3 in Clerkenwell.
* 1812. George Denis CHARIE C11, jeweller, crosses from north to south London (The Borough) to settle there.
* 1881. National census, the families in London and Birmingham then totalled 24 persons.
* 1918. Harry F9 soldier killed in action in France.
* 1941. WW2 bomb damage in Kennington, London leads to two families moving to Luton, Bedfordshire.
* 1985/86. Distribution of the booklet “CHARIE - Our Family Tree”, written by Harry H1.
* 1989. The first of the annual Christmas letters sent to the family by Harry H1.
* 1995. The World-Wide Book of CHARlEs published by the American company Burke-Halbert.
* 1997. Phone calls to United States gave the information that some of the CHARIE families there owe their surname to mistakes made by the US immigration service.
* 1999. Ciculation of the booklet “CHARIE - A Millennium Update”. The count of persons named CHARIE in U K when booklet was printed was 51.
* 2005. CHARIE website established.
* 2014 . Alfred Richard (Dick) Charie G7 celebrated his 100th birthday at Comox, B.C., thus, becoming the first male centenarian in the family.